Ahi Tuna Burgers with Wasabi-Lime Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/2-1 tsp prepared wasabi paste (start with 1/2 tsp, increase to taste)
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 8-oz. pieces of yellowfin or ahi tuna, roughly chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp coarse ground black papper
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, leaves only, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp diced scallions (can sub sweet white onions)
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Tomato, sliced
- Avocado, sliced
- Whole-wheat hamburger buns
- First, make mayo. Whisk together mayo, wasabi, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl.
- Chop the tuna, place in food processor with cilantro, scallions, garlic, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Top with sesame oil. Pulse a few times until roughly ground. Don’t puree!!
- Form the mixture into two large burgers or 4-5 smaller ones. *If making large burgers, make sure your buns are large enough! These burgers don’t shrink up like beef does, since the fat content is so low.
- Cook on medium heat, either in grill pan on the grill or frying pan on stove coated with a little olive oil, 2-3 minutes each side (or to desired level of doneness).
- Toast buns, top with lettuce, tomato, onion and avocado. Use mayo sparingly, or to taste.