Easy Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce (low sodium) or tamari
- 2 Tbsp rice wine
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ginger, diced
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 small can water chestnuts, diced
- 1 bag broccoli or cabbage slaw mixture
- 2 Tbsp canola, sesame or peanut oil
- 1/4 cup Iron Chef Honey Garlic stir fry and marinade sauce (or similar bottled sauce)
- Iceberg, Bibb or Butter lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1/8 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onions
- Mix marinade ingredients together and cover prepared tofu for 1/2 hours, or longer.
- Heat oil in wok over medium heat. Add drained, marinated tofu and stir fry 15-20 minutes, stirring gently until browned. Reserve marinade to deglaze if needed.
- Remove from pan and add remaining ingredients to pan. Stir fry for 5 minutes or until veggies begin to soften.
- Mix together ingredients for dipping sauce as vegetables are sautéing.
- Add a bit of reserved marinade to deglaze if needed. Stir fry for a few more minutes as veggies continue to soften, then add stir fry sauce. Stir until veggies are done and sauce is warm.
- Add tofu and stir. Serve with lettuce leaves and dipping sauce.
- When you don’t feel like draining and pressing tofu, you can substitute soy crumbles. There are many different brands, but are usually found with tofu and other vegetarian-type products in the produce department. They have the consistency of ground beef and work very well in this recipe because they soak up the taste of the stir fry sauce.